Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Duke's Drive In - Bridgeview, IL


On October 9, 2018, I visited Duke's Drive-In for only the second time in 15 years as it is right down the street from where I work.  John and I have been out to lunch together probably over 1,000 times and have talked about going here frequently.  You can check them out here.  It is mostly outdoor seating at this location which has an exterior similar to what you may have seen on Happy Days for those old enough to remember that show.  That is probably why I have not been there too frequently because it is usually too hot, too cold, too windy, or precipitating here in Chicago.  But on this day, it was beautiful Fall weather and I could not have picked a much better day to visit there for lunch.

I ordered the sandwich with hot peppers.  This is the first location where they were freshly cut jalapeno peppers that had a nice crunch to them.  It was a great change of pace on the sandwich.  Duke's is #5 on the Chicagoland best of list.  Now I know why.  I give them a 4.5-5.0 star rating right now as it has been the best I have had to date.  It by far had the most meat in the sandwich and was by far the most tender.  For some reason, the fresh jalapeno's didn't have much kick to them which was a slight disappointment.  Maybe there is something to be said for the oil in the giardiniera served by others that gives it a special kick in heat.  You also had to sit away from the table to eat this sandwich as this sandwich was dunked.  What is dunked you may ask?  Well, that is when they take the sandwich and dunk it in the au jus before wrapping it and serving it to you.  BTW, the french fries are great here and the serving is enormous.  God, I still can't believe I have only been here two times.  Will definitely be heading their for lunch more frequently going forward when in town (and the weather is nice).

No comments:

Post a Comment