Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Portillo's - Summit, IL





Back on March 12, 2018, I had an Italian Beef Combo at the Portillo's location in Summit, IL - you can visit their site here...Portillo's.  One may ask, what is an Italian Beef Combo.  It is Italian beef with an Italian sausage stuffed in the bun underneath the beef.  Portillo's is #16 on the list that I have mentioned in my original post.  They have locations in 5-6 states and probably over 30 in the Chicagoland area.  They are by far the most common location for an Italian Beef across the Chicagoland area because they have so many locations.  I will give them credit.  Their sandwiches are consistent from location to location.  I have been eating these sandwiches for 15 years.  You have the regular, the big beef, the beef n cheddar croissant (which I have not had for many years and need to rectify soon), and the combo in both regular and big beef sizes.  This place has become the standard for me because I have been there so many times.

So, the Italian Beef Combo pictured came with hot peppers which is the local Giardiniera which you can read about here to find out what it is.  I think I also ordered it dry which means the sliced beef was not dunked in the au jus prior to putting on the sandwich.  I have since outgrown that style as I have learned more about these sandwiches the last few months.  Their beef is flavorful and slightly tender, and as I said earlier, has become my standard.  I am going to give them a 4 star rating right now.  That may change after visiting some other locations and making it back to Portillo's.  I will be a tough grader so you may not see a 5 star rating around here. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a local now living in FL. Followed you here from Pellet Fan. I loved your reviews and am looking forward to some more. You seem to be in my old stomping grounds (South West side and subs) so am anxious to see more from the area. I was a chef back in Chicago so have my fav's. Johnny's and Dukes always at top of my list with Al's on Taylor St. being #1. Hope you try that soon. We have Portillo's down here in FL and they do a reasonable job of holding me off till I make my annual trip home for visits. :)

    ReplyDelete